Had a pretty serious discussion tonite with dh. We moved into a lovely house in Atlanta. Just like everything else- we found our home on the internet first and wound up choosing it on the second day of our house hunting trip from Seattle. Though this house is nice I realize there are several things about it that I would seriously like to change. Dh makes a comfortable income which allows me to be at home to raise our children for now- and eventually when I return to working (hopefully as a business owner) we will easily have more than ample income to do a variety of things. However right now our budget is much more limited.
While I was talking to Tifi one night I was playing around and showing her some of the homes for sale in my neighborhood. I then checked out some houses in neighboring communities and realized that for a lower mortgage we could easily get into a larger home that would have basement for dh and other amenities. So this makes me wonder if its really worth it to hold on to a big house when you don’t have much room for savings, etc.
I’ve decided to make a list of pros/cons just to think through this
Pros of keeping this house:
- I love love love my neighborhood its beautiful and very scenic.
- I have great neighbors who I have quite a bit in common with.
- The location of this home has it appreciating very quickly- we are one of the lower end houses while some of my neighbors homes have doubled in value even though my subdivision isn’t very old (the oldest homes are less than 8 years old).
- No stress with worrying about house hunting fo a new home or moving
- We’re not very far from our church
Cons of keeping this house:
- The schools in my area are horrible. Unless DS is admitted into one of the magnets in the area I would have to home school- sending him to the regular public school isn’t an option its too problem filled and underperforming because they are severely overpopulated.
- Stretching finances month to month has grown tiresome. I’d like more room in my belt to put towards savings and to establish 529 plans for my sons.
- Utility bills are not great for heating and cooling because of the vaulted ceilings.
- My kitchen is too small. Dh and I both love to cook so much and its hard when we can’t both be in there together- we seriously need an island.
- The large yard is quite a bit of maintenance and I’d love to have something small enough that I could easily keep it up, landscape and garden without it being so overwhelming.
- We’re near a lake so the exterior of the house wears faster and requires cleaning, etc. to keep it looking good.
That’s as far as I’ve gotten so far. We’re praying on this because I know we’ll figure out what’s the best step to take just like moving to Atlanta turned out to be one of the best decisions yet.